subota, 11. listopada 2014.

Introduction to my 1st assignment

"Selfie"

I am from Opatija, a small town in Croatia. After graduating as a Graphic Designer, I decided to go in a slightly different direction, but in which I will still be able to express my creativity. I was lucky enough to get this amazing opportunity to study Make-up and Hair Design at Southampton Solent University and to move the UK. I have no professional experience but makeup has always been my passion and hobby and from here we'll see how far I go...

Our 1st assignment is called "The New Elizebethans" - the project is about taking the Elizebethan makeup and hair and introducing it to the modern age. At first, I wasn't that excited about this project, but the more research I do, the more I'm loving it. I hope My biggest fear is that I won't have enough time to practice the hairstyles. I am not that good at doing other people's hair, and in this project we have to do other people's designs on eachother. But they are taking us step by step, and hopefully by the time we have to present our project and looks, I won't have this problem anymore.


Elizabethan Era; England in the 16th century

The Elizabethan Era was a period associated with Queen Elizabeth 1st  (1558- 1603) also known as the golden age in English history That was the age of the Renaissance; the age of new ideas and new thinking - bigger interest in different sciences and inventions, as well as the supernatural. That was the time during which English poetry, music, literature and Elizabethan theatre were at their highest point. William Shakespeare composed plays that changed Englands past style of theatre. The Protestant Reformation became more acceptable to the people, expecially after the Spanish Armada was repulsed. This was also the eng of period when England was a separate realm before its royal union with Scotland.

Portrait of Queen Elizabeth I
(source: commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Marcus_Gheeraerts_(II)_-_Portrait_of_Queen_Elisabeth_I_-_WGA08657.jpg - date: Oct 10th 2014)

The name of this portrait is "Portrait of Queen Elizabeth I"; oil on canvas (c. 1592). The author of this painting is Marcus Gheeraerts the Younger. Elizabeth was not so young when this portrait was painted but she still looks beautiful. In this portrait her hair is up, wit a lot of accesories. She is wearing a wig and I am guessing a crown, I can't really tell.  Her face was very pale, but cheeks and lips red. It was very fashionable to wear big collars and and corsets to accentuate your waist. And she wore big farthingales (wire or whalebone under skirts), she her waist looks even smaller. But of course we can see that she edited this portrait, at this age her skin was wrinkled and her waist couldn't have been this tiny, even with all the corsets in the word. Regardless, I think that Elizabeth was a real style icon of that era. 



http://www.elizabethan-era.org.uk/elizabethan-period.htm http://www.pinterest.com/porcelainista/1590s/

Nema komentara:

Objavi komentar